Friday, November 10, 2017

Originality

You probably haven't noticed, since I assume most people aren't constantly taking note of my various tics, but I'll occasionally make this "awkward" face, where I grimace and make my eyes dart to either side as if I'm avoiding eye contact. I do it on purpose, it's supposed to be comedic, pretending to tell the person that what they just said is deeply uncomfortable. I got that from Ethan Chen.

Here's another tic: Sometimes I'll jerk my neck muscles, pulling the corner of my mouth down into a sort of half-grimace. I started doing it after seeing my friend's dad do it once.

Another: If I'm walking and thinking hard about something, I'll tap my thumb against the rest of my fingers in a deliberate sequence. I got that from a character that appeared in a single episode of Fringe.

My weirdly posh and over consonated speech when I get heated? That's Schmidt from New Girl. The way I draw out certain letters and peculiarly extend words when attempting to sound authoritative or menacing? James Spader in Age of Ultron (also James Spader in the Office, but less). The specific way I hold my phone as I glance at it under my desk? From the pages of Van Gundersen. Stuttering and sentence fragmenting for comedic effect is a combination of Justin Roiland's characters in Rick and Morty along with some Amir from Jake and Amir.

The point is, my personality is and, for as long as I can remember, has been a hodgepodge of behavioral quirks from my peers, my favorite characters, and anything else I pick up along the way. I don't think there's a single aspect of my behavior that can't be at least partially traced back to another source. Which is a really strange thought. Am I an actual person with original thoughts and concepts and ways to be, or is every part of my identity just something I stole from someone else?

And I know I'm not the only person this applies to, so are any of us really our own people? Now, this might not be a bad thing, I kinda like the idea of being a sort of Voltron of behavioral traits, but at the same time, I want some things that are my own.

But is it even possible to have something entirely your own? So much of our lives are influenced by our environments, fancy science people have said time and time again that nature's impact is so minimal compared to nurture: The socioecnomic standing you grew up in, the emotional support from people around you, the media you consume, determines who you are way more than any sort of innate traits.

While I was thinking over this, a quote came to mind that often does when I start thinking about originality. It's from legendary director Quentin Tarantino and he says, “I steal from every single movie ever made. If my work has anything, it’s that I’m taking this from this and that from that and mixing them together.”

Now, anything that comes from Tarantino should be held in the highest esteem, obviously, but I hold this one in particularly high regard. Though he's specifically talking about art, I think this applies to us as well. I think what makes us who we are isn't so much who we inherently are, but what we choose to take from the world around us, and how much.

7 comments:

  1. It is really interesting how we can take different parts of different people and make it part of ourselves, it's kind of like a video game where you can learn different skills from different people. When I'm talking to a friend frequently over the course of time and I start using a new word or phrase I heard I've noticed that they might start using it too. If they start using a new word or phrase I find myself saying it. People are really malleable and I think your blog post shows that well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as though I have also tried to find my own originality. In kinda a similar situation, but instead of my personality I was trying to find originality in my projects and ideas. It took me a while to recognize that if you create your own idea or project it will often be inferior to something that has already been made. Instead it is almost always better to modify and adapt something that has already been made. I really loved this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it very interesting how you dissected your different behaviors and identified their origins. Do you think you could do that for every one, or are there some that you don't remember the origin (or perhaps they truly are original)? I don't really think about why I act the way I do often, but recently I've noticed that a lot of the things I say or find funny are things that my brother introduced me to. However there are a lot of ways in which we are different, and I don't know where those other parts of me came from so I assume they developed organically. But it could very well be that I just don't remember. I think our originality comes from our combination of all our behaviors; while when examined individually they may be near carbon copies, as a whole it becomes unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the topic of originality and theft in art, I'm reminded of an anecdote I heard recently from James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem, about the first time he met David Bowie. He was totally flummoxed and nervous, as any sane person would be when faced with the prospect of meeting Bowie, and he mumbled something about it being a pleasure to meet the artist he's stolen so much from. Bowie, charming to the hilt, leaned in confidentially and said, "You can't steal from a thief, darling." We all take things from the influences around us, whether we're conscious of it or not--"originality" consists in recombining those elements in new and unique ways. Bowie is usually (rightfully) scene as the paradigm of the original, individual artist, and he freely admits to being a "thief." He just combined those elements in ways the world hadn't seen before. (Something similar could be said about Tarantino, perhaps.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote my blog post on a really similar subject (stealing?), and can say that I don't think any of us are made up of our own parts. But then is nobody ever original? It's weird that although we can pinpoint where we got things from, we might not be able to pinpoint the original source. But if you're mixing a bunch of things together into one, then it's original in some sense (which I guess is what Tarantino is saying).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also thinking about this the other day. I've noticed that my personality fluctuates depending on who I'm with/ have recently spent a lot of time with. I'll subconsciously pick up some of their habits, or start sort of pandering to their humor and mimicking their own personalities. So I actually have no idea what I'm really like. I think my entire personality is just assimilated from my surroundings, which is a pretty weird thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post! I guess the combinations of mannerisms that we adopt determine our personalities. I think how we think to and act towards ourselves can also indicate who we are. The thoughts that fuel our behavioral traits might be equally as important as what those mannerisms are in understanding our personalities.

    ReplyDelete

(I TALK ABOUT TRUMP IN THIS POST) Modern Postmodernism

This post isn't strictly about Libra, more about this course in general (but it'll tie back to Libra eventually probably somehow.) ...